Thursday, May 31, 2012

St. Louis Fire Department To Install Carbon Monoxide Alarms

The St. Louis Fire Department received a $90,000 grant from the assistance to Firefighter's Grant program to install Carbon Monoxide alarms. The grant funds were distributed through the Fire Prevention and Safety section of the grant program.
The program targets homes of seniors and those with small or unborn children. Everyone is at risk to Carbon Monoxide exposure. However, medical experts believe that unborn babies, infants, children, senior citizens, and people with heart or lung problems are at even greater risk for CO poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill a person before they are aware it is in their home. CO gas con come from several sources, including: gas-fueled appliances, charcoal grills, wood-burning furnaces or fireplaces, and motor vehicles.
At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.
The funding, provided by the grant, allowed the St. Louis Fire Department to purchased 2,000 CO alarms, which are available immediately. City of St. Louis residents interested in participation in the program may call 314-533-3406

No comments: